Monday, February 2, 2015

Venezuela Day 3






José and I with the Marlin

Fishing Of La Guaria


Day 3

I am so sad today is my last day in beautiful Caracas.  But I shall not fret because today, I am going fishing off the coast of La Guaria with the Venezuelan natives.  La Guaria is known for it’s amazing fishing.  Marlin is famously caught here.  The drive from Caracas to La Guaria is about 40 min.  Once I got there I saw tons of tours to go fishing.  I chose one of them with a man called José.  José was extremely friendly, similar to most Venezuelans.  We began our journey by going pretty far out to a place that has been in the family for generations.  The ship is pretty wide and is two decks.  We had huge fishing poles.  I cast my line out and waited.  I waited for about 30-45 min before I had a bite.  While I was waiting, José was talking to me about the history of Venezuela and his favorite places to eat.  As soon as I got the bite, José rushed over and guided me on what to do.  He told me to let the fish swim out a little bit, then draw him back in slowly.  He also constantly reminded me to watch the tension on the pole so it does not break.  After about 30 min of doing this the marlin began to tire and I was able to get it close enough to the boat for José to trap it in his net and pull it up.  It began to flop around until José and I got a good grip on him.  We took a picture and sailed back to shore.  When we got back to shore, José scaled and gutted the fish.  He made Marlin sushi and offered me some.  It tasted a bit chewy but overall, great.  He also had smoked marlin which tasted even better.  After this, I bade José farewell, I got a taxi to my hotel and then to the airport.  Venezuela was a fun and exciting country.  

No comments:

Post a Comment