Monday, February 2, 2015

Honduras Day 1








Day 1

Once again, as I walked out the airport in Tegucigalpa, I hear Spanish.  But to backtrack for a second, the landing in Tegucigalpa gave me a bit of shock.  As we neared the airport we had to weave in and out of the mountains and had to make a huge last-second turn right before landing.  But to get back on track, first, I converted some US dollars into Honduran Lempiras.  Today is December 30.  I stayed at La Delphina Bed and Breakfast.  The drive from the airport was lined with bright green trees.  Also, while I was in the taxi, I saw a group of kids playing soccer in the streets.  Soccer is the national sport of Honduras, as it is with many Spanish speaking countries.  On the way to my hotel, the taxi driver mentioned to me a life-changing attraction where you can swim with whale sharks.  I kept this in mind for later.  My hotel is right on the beach.  Once I got to my room, I have a beautiful view of the ocean from my balcony.  As I mentioned earlier, my taxi driver mentioned that I could swim with whale sharks.  So, I became extremely excited and got another taxi to drive me over.  The place is actually a resort built on the beach.  So I strolled
Swimming with Whale Sharks
into the front door and ask the concierge about it.  She lead me to the worker that does the tours.  He introduces himself as Hernando.  On the boat ride out, Hernando explained to me about how whale sharks are actually friendly and they are stereotyped as mean because of their size.  When we got to the spot, we both dove in and he lead me underwater.  I followed him and I saw the most phenomenal thing ever.  I saw a shark the size of a whale, hence the name, whale shark.  I swam beside it and observed it eat and it was truly amazing.  After a little bit, Hernando told me that my time was up and we needed to go back, so reluctantly I swam back up to the boat.  When we got back to the resort, I thanked Hernando for all he taught me and for taking me, and I go back to my hotel.  I was so exhausted from swimming that as soon as I got into bed I was fast asleep.  

No comments:

Post a Comment