Monday, February 2, 2015

Venezuela Day 2


Diablos Danzantes De Yare
Day 2
Jésus
I woke up to the sounds of honking and people speaking Spanish.  Today is a very important day for Venezuelans.  Today is Corpus Christi.  Corpus Christi is a celebration of the belief of Jesus.  It also is a representation of good vs evil.  I was so excited to be able to take part in the Diablos Danzantes, the devil dances.  This celebration is once a year and is commemorated by the city of San Francisco de Yare dressing up as devils and having a humongous feast.  After about a 1 hour drive from Caracas, I finally arrive.  The natives have been working on these costumes all year.  While I walked around and admired the preparation for the festival, I met a man named Jésus.  He spoke enough English to be able to explain to me about their festival.  He took me to his area.  He showed me his costume and lets me try it on.  It was basically a red shirt and pants with an elaborately painted devil-like mask( it looks similar to a dragon).  The procession started at the edge of the village and works it’s way through towards the church.  Once we got to the church the devils danced and we ate bread and drank wine.  This is a life-changing experience for any Catholic out there.  After today, I am once again tired and can’t wait for my next life-changing experience tomorrow.  Buenas Noches.  

No comments:

Post a Comment