Monday, February 2, 2015

Honduras Day 3








White Water Rafting down Rio Cangrejal

Mayan Ruins
Day 3


My final day in Honduras.  My flight leaves late at night so I still had time to do some more incredible things.  Before I came, I heard that the forests in Honduras are a must-see.  I headed off to Rio Platano Biosphere Reserve.  I picked a tour where I hiked through the forests and I got to see Mayan ruins that Christopher Columbus had stumbled upon.   The tour started off by hiking through the forested hills.  It is one of the best preserved ecosystems in the world.  There was a huge variety of sounds ranging from birds chirping to frogs and crickets croaking.  We got to look down from the top of a hill and it was a spectacular sight.  We walked a little bit longer and then we came up on the Mayan ruins.  They resembled pyramids, except they were not smooth and had stairs running up the sides.  There were also statues of mayan gods.  On the sides of tables, there were intricate designs of people talking to one another.  There were moss and lichen stuck to the ruins and was lined all the way to the top.  After this tour I did another one called Rio Cangrejal.  It was a river that you go white water rafting down.  It was extremely fun.  There were rocks diffused throughout the river causing fear of being hit.  Also there were unexpected drops and high-speed turns.  After the fun ride, I packed my stuff and went to the airport.  Honduras was fascinating with their sights and culture.  

No comments:

Post a Comment