Monday, February 2, 2015

Barbados Day 1











Chalky Mountain Pottery


Day 1

Jug I bought
Finally, as I walked out the airport I hear English, my native language.  Don’t get me wrong, Spanish is a great language and all, but it felt good knowing that the person you are talking to understands you 100% and can speak fluently back.  I got into a taxi and the driver took me to the Bajan building I rented on the beach.  It is neon green, and vibrant pink and red.  I decided to start the day off easy, so I went to see the Chalky Mountain Potters.  The Chalky Mountain Potters are a group of indigenous Bajans.  They hand make pottery in varying designs and extraordinary detail.  They also sell their work for cheap.  I met a man named John.  He explained the process of how they make the pottery to me.  First he mixes native Bajan clay with water and lets it sit in the sun for five days.  Next, he kneads the clay to get the air out.  After this, he puts the clay on his potter’s wheel and molds the clay into whatever shape he likes.  Then, the clay is fired and glazed.  Lastly, it is painted and fired again.  I end up finding a cool monkey jug that I like and buying it.  Today was a very cool experience.  

No comments:

Post a Comment